Friday 12 February 2016

Indie Author Interview With Desiree Moodie


Okay folks, make yourself's comfortable and read on as indie author Desiree Moodie chats with us about the craft of writing and why she continues to do it.

When did you decide to become a writer?

I’ve written all my life. But I only decided to get really serious about it a few years ago.

What genre are your books?

My early writing was erotic romance. Now I write noir thrillers.

What draws you to this genre?

For one thing, you’re guaranteed a story. Whether it’s a good story or a bad one depends. But at least you get one.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?

Starting things was never my problem. Finishing things...now that’s something I’ve had to practice hard at over the years.

Do you write full-time or part-time?

I write full-time as of last summer.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?

I get up at around 7am and spend those first two hours doing my morning routine. Two hours may sound decadent but I learned quickly that if I don’t carve out that time for myself first thing in the morning, I’ll never get it. 

I’m in front of my computer by 9 am and I spend the next four hours writing. I’m usually drafting one book, editing another, and working on a blog post and then either a short story or an article I want to pitch.

At around 1 pm, I take a three hour break. Again, that may sound luxurious, but my break time consists of reading and watching and analyzing either a television show or movie. To me, that still counts as work.

At 4 pm, I head back to my computer and work for several hours on client project. Only when I’m finished here do I open up my social media apps and spend some time there.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?

I’m more disciplined when it comes to getting my writing time in. And I’ve learned a lt more about story crafting in general.

What have you written?

Numerous short stories, magazine and blog articles, a novel, and a few comic book scripts.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just seeing where an idea takes you?

When I’m pre-writing, I tend to keep things free form and just explore the story and see where it goes. But once I have my ideas pretty much set, I write an outline and draft from that.

How do you market your books?

First, I just try and write the best books I can. Then I try to be the most awesome and helpful person that I can be and make genuine connections either online and in person. 

Next, the importance of a great cover and compelling book description cannot be understated. I try and focus on collecting a good amount of reviews before I do any serious marketing, especially if it’s paid advertising.

Is there any marketing technique you used that had an immediate impact on your sales figures?

Did you make any marketing mistakes or is there anything you would avoid in the future?

Absolutely. I didn’t plan my launch far enough in advance. I’ve just started to write my second book and an already thinking about and planning that launch.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

Honor your own process. Try different things until you find what works for you and then be OK with that. You don’t always have to do what everyone else is doing.

Give us an insight into your main character. What does he do that is so special?

Ahh Logan. Logan is what you’d get if you took Wolverine, Dean from Supernatural, and Sawyer from LOST and thre them all into a blender. He’s a tortured soul and he tries his best to reaffirm people’s worst notions of him. But deep down, you know he’s a good person.

Where do your ideas come from? 

I wouldn’t say they came form any one particular place. I get ideas from all over. From just living life and being observant and thoughtful.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Knowing that it will never be good enough for me. Knowing that I’ll want to edit and iterate forever but forcing myself to stop and get the work out there anyway.

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?

That final round of edits. It was madening. I think it was because, for me, editing is about streamlining and whittling. But my editor kept suggesting that I add things. I did not want to think up new material; my brain was already fried from my previous drafts.

What do you do to get book reviews?

I ask. Multiple times. You’re not going to get any reviews if you’re afraid to ask for them.

How successful has your quest for reviews been so far?

Not too bad. Getting more reviews is going to be my focus for this month. I plan to send out a lot of pitches. Wish me luck.

What is the current book you are promoting? 

White Rabbit, my first novel.

Who is your favorite character in your book and why?

Logan. Because, much like Tess, I”m attracted to bad boys.

Who is your least favorite character and why? 

Ryan. He whines too much.

If your book were made into a movie, who would you cast? 

I love this question! And I wrote about this on my blog already so here goes.

Logan - Josh Holloway

Tess - Rita Ora

Ryan - Cameron Mathison

Julian - Giancaro Esposito or Pedro Pascal

What is your next project? 

Black Swan, the sequel to White Rabbit.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why?

Indiana Jones. And do I really need a reason?

What is one thing you hate about being a writer?

That many still don’t consider writing “real work” that takes real skill and that should be paid for.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?

Through my website, desireemoodie.com









Are you an author? You can give your book a page of its own on this blog for just $5. Click here to learn more.


No comments:

Post a Comment