Sunday 14 February 2016

Indie Author Interview With Kelsey Jensen

Author Kelsey Jensen
Next up to voice their thoughts on the craft of writing is indie author Kelsey Jensen. 

Why do you write? 

I love HEA’s and I love being able to give the character’s that are so real for me their own. 

When I was little I used to have these grand ideas for stories, but I had zero patience to actually write them. So, Barbie and all her friends lived out my ideas. From kidnappings, marriages, breakups, and love stories (I had an active imagination. Still do). 

As I got older, Barbie was replaced with The Sims and the backstories got a whole lot more elaborate. Entire “series” played out by starting with one Sim. Finding a spouse, having kids, raising them and giving them their own partners. The stories never stopped. 

Even when I dreamt I created stories in my head. Villains taking control, action packed adventures, love stories that made me curse waking up at the good parts. My mind was always coming up with something. 

Besides that, it’s also an escape. I get to watch these stories unfold before my eyes. I get the privilege to put them down on paper where hopefully, one day, others can enjoy them too. 

When did you decide to become a writer? 

I don’t really think I ever “decided” to become a writer. 

I was listening to my go-to playlist for an overcast/gray chilly day (Mumford & Sons, etc.) while mowing fairways one day when all of a sudden this voice popped into my head and started telling me her story. Her name was Anna (MC from Pierce My Heart) and the beginning of her story is not a pretty one, but she trusted me enough to tell me. 

That day I sat down and started to write. Along the way she introduced me to a bevy of people who I’ve grown to love and hope whose stories I get the privilege to tell. 

So, I wouldn’t say I decided to become a writer. I think Anna was the one who decided for me. 

What genre are your books? 

All my books (for the foreseeable future) will be variations of romance. The main series I’m working on is NA-esque/Contemporary romance. NA-esque because of the age of the characters and how they act, but there’s not an overabundance of unnecessary angst (I’m not big on excess angst). A side project I’m working on is a Sci-Fi romance I’m insanely excited about. I love the girls and the men are some OTP Alpha-males that’ll make you swoon (if you can understand them *hint*) 

What draws you to this genre? 

I’m a sucker for a happy ending. HEA’s are pretty much a must for me when it comes to books. Realism is fantastic, but the world is, well, the world and I take whatever extra joy I can in any form. There’s no need for me to read something to depressing when I could turn on the news. 

That, and I’m a romantic at heart. 

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something? 

Like I mentioned above, it was Anna telling me her story. 

Do you write full-time or part-time? 

I write any time I’m able. All depends on my work schedule and if the characters are talking to me. 

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured? 

I wouldn’t say I have a special time, more like I write when the mood strikes. Either at 6 in the morning when I can’t sleep, 2 in the afternoon when I’m just rambling around, or midnight. If I’m near my computer and I’m in the mood, the time makes no difference. Though, I find if I start earlier in the day I get more done. I’m able to pause around lunch time, take some time for Netflix or reading, then get back to it. 

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively? 

From when I first started to 250 some odd pages later? I think I’ve evolved quite a bit. I’ve definitely found my style (though I still struggle with some things), but things continue to progress. There will always be room for improvement of some sort. 

What have you written? 

I’ve almost completed the first book in my Women of Willowbrook series, Pierce My Heart and I’ve started on another book that’s currently untitled. 

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just seeing where an idea takes you? 

I write by the seat of my pants. I take notes as I go, but I don’t outline anything. 

My characters are real to me. It’s their story I’m telling. 

Usually I have an idea of how the story will go (basically I know how it starts and ends, but I don’t know how it ends. Make sense?), but I don’t really know any details until they give them to me. 

Everything’s a surprise as I go. Definitely makes things exciting! 

How do you market your books? 

Anyway I can. Since I’m beginning, I’m doing everything myself. Promoting on Facebook, following other authors and blogs, trying to reach out to people. I do the same for Twitter, Instagram, even Pinterest. 

I also make sure to not make every single post about my books. I include things about me so follows can get an idea of the person I am. 

What advice would you give to aspiring authors? 

Good Lord. It’s the hardest and easiest thing. Just write. Whatever it is, write. 

Where do your ideas come from? 

Anywhere and everywhere. An idea can come to me at any time, it’s whenever the character decided to talk to me. 

What is the hardest thing about writing? 

Writing. And synopsis’s. Those things suck. 

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book? 

Letting them go. It’s my first book and I’ve fallen in love (and lust with Jake) with them. I’m scared, excited, and nervous to let them go. Slows my writing a bit. 

Which writers inspire you? 

My favorite authors are also the ones that inspire me. Kristen Ashley, Susan Elizabeth Philips, R.L. Mathewson, Aurora Rose Reynolds, Tara Sivec, Jovee Winters. But, honestly? Every author that I read and like (or dislike), every book that I read, is an inspiration in some way or another. 

Who is your favorite character in your book and why? 

That’s difficult. 

Obviously I hold a special place for my MC’s, especially Anna. She’s the most like me (style and personality wise). But, there’s already a few other characters whispering to me and what they’re whispering is making me ridiculously excited to get to them. Payton and Jolene especially. 

Who is your least favorite character and why? 

Xavier, of course. The dude’s a low-down, dirty, scumbag. 

Who is your favorite author? 

No way I can pick just one. 

Kristen Ashley, Susan Elizabeth Philips, R.L. Mathewson, Alexa Riley, Aurora Rose Reynolds, Tara Sivec, and Jovee Winters/Marie Hall. 

Tell us something unique about you: 

About me? Hmm. I think fringe makes just about everything better. I think Bob Seger is amazing. I love all things leather, silver, sparkly, fringe, and classic (I definitely don’t fit in one “box”). I can rewatch movies like they’re going outta style. My mom and dad have dubbed me Gypsy Rose on multiple occasions on account of all the rings I wear (anywhere from 7 to 12 at a time). And I have absolutely no issue with reading 3 books in a day and doing nothing else. 

How can readers discover more about you and you work? 

By following along on any of my social media sites or the forum I’m in on Goodreads. 



Are you an author? You can give your book a page of its own on this blog for just $5. Click here to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment