Friday 12 February 2016

Indie Author Interview With DR. Don C. Kean D.M.D


Next up to take his place in the interrogation chair is indie author DR. Don C. Kean D.M.D. Read on to find out more about this fascinating author.

Why do you write? 

Mostly as a hobby because I enjoy it so much.

When did you decide to become a writer? 

I always dabbled in it but I decided to do it a bit more seriously in 2012.

What genre are your books? 

My first book "Great Men At The Worst Time" is a non fiction book providing brief biographical introductions into figures who served on both sides of The American Civil War. My latest release "I Didn't Sign Up For This" is a Romantic/Drama/Adventure/Historical Fiction set in the American Civil War era

What draws you to this genre? 

I love studying the American Civil War and I love the state of Kentucky. I felt compelled to write a story about the life of a young Kentucky man from my favorite place in the state and his journeys and struggles during and especially after the war.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something? 

The idea came to me in 2013 while I was writing Great Men. Even though I did not start on the work until 2014 I was researching somewhat for it then.

Do you write full-time or part-time? 

Part time. My 60 plus hour work week keeps my window of opportunity to write limited.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured? 

I simply write when I can.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively? 

I never was a fiction reader during my entire life. I always preferred to read real history and biography. I was somewhat shocked that I got so primed up to write a fictional work. But it was really a whole lot of fun.

What have you written? 

The two works mentioned previously.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just seeing where an idea takes you? 

This may sound schizophrenic but I meticulously researched the background for the cultural, geographical, and military facts for the story. I tried my best to be accurate with dates and settings. In contrast I did not have any real outline for the story line. I just sort of "winged it".

How do you market your books? 

I do what I can on social media with my limited computer skills.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors? 

If you write, do it because you love it. Take pride in what you create and shut out a lot of the outside clatter. Fame and money may never come that is why you must seek satisfaction within yourself.

Give us an insight into your main character. What does he do that is so special? 

Joshua Sims is a very normal and average young man with a good head on his shoulders. He does do some rather unique things in his life. He suffers greatly both during and especially after the war. He is stubborn. He doesn't quit even though he is tempted to the hilt to give up on everyone and everything in life But the real message in the book is what the love of others does for him to make his life so special

Where do your ideas come from? 

I am inspired by the heroic figures from The American Civil War. I honor values like duty, courage, and self responsibility. I read many diaries and letters from that period. It is clear that P.T.S.D. though not called that back then was a very real entity and those soldiers plagued with it had to suffer in a terrible lonely silence. 

What is the hardest thing about writing? 

Writing is fun and easy. It is all the post writing legwork that is so demanding.

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book? 

I found nothing hard about the writing itself. I had a ball.

Which writers inspire you? 

Mostly Biographers, especially military.

What do you do to get book reviews? 

You have to be persistent. Ask Ask Ask.

How successful has your quest for reviews been so far? 
Okay, but I have not pursued that stage aggressively yet for my latest release.

What is the current book you are promoting? 

"I Didn't Sign Up For This", A Historical/Adventure/Romance set in The American Civil War era.

Who is your favorite character in your book and why? 

The central character is Joshua D. Sims. He is my favorite. He is the type of person most of us can identify with. But his love interest in the book "Susan" is one tough little gal.

Who is your least favorite character and why? 

I do not really have one.

If your book were made into a movie, who would you cast? 

I would cast Sara Evans or Kate Beckinsale as Susan. For the character of Joshua I do not yet have a pick. But while writing the story I always had a picture of the young man played by Sam Bottoms in the movie "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

What is your next project? 

Either a sequel to this story or a story of a Union soldier or officer who travels in the south near the end of the war and in the post war south.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why? 

Tom Bombadil from "Lord Of The Rings". He was powerful, yet kind and mysterious.

What one person from history would you like to meet and why? 

Robert E. Lee, he was a brilliant man and such a gentleman.

If there was one thing you could do to change the world, what would it be? 

I better avoid that one otherwise I might get too political.

How do you write your books? 

By hand. I am a one fingered typist.

Who is your favorite author? 

Douglas Southall Freeman

What is one great lesson you have learned as a writer? 

Patience.

What is one thing you hate about being a writer? 

Nothing. Otherwise I would not choose to do it.

Tell us something unique about you:

I have always been horribly non artistic.

How can readers discover more about you and you work? 

My website has a photo album of various historical sites that are set in the book. I have placed brief captions with each photo that relate to the book. My author-page also provides why I was inspired to write the story and reviews.


Are you an author? You can give your book a page of its own on this blog for just $5. Click here to learn more.


No comments:

Post a Comment